This post was written two months ago, on my 40th birthday. I just realized I hadn't posted it yet. So here you go.
PS - No joking about forgetfulness and old age. I've been forgetting since I can't remember when.
And now, the post.
This is the first day of my 40s, and I've been asked by several people if being 40 means we're old. My answer is no. Here's why:
1. Many people are older than 40. Some are even 50.
2. The Earth is 4,000,000,000 years old. The Universe is 14,000,000,000 years old. I'm 40. In those terms, that's barely enough time to realize that you even think you're old.
3. Many people do not get to live to be 40, so I consider myself lucky.
4. There aren't actually any rules about being 40, except that you can't run around with no pants on, but that one starts when you turn 30.
5. No laws of physics state that 40 will be a bad time. Except maybe the one about gravity.
6. "40" is actually a number. I am not 40. I am John.
7. Only you can make yourself become older. 40 can only make you wiser.
8. "40" is the atomic number of zirconium.
I don't really feel like I'm 40. I just want some good sushi.